Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Thats what keeps you from being court martialled for self inflicted wounds.

 drunk
 drunk.Not reallyNever. Its much cooler. lit it and went on reading.Oh. with the eyes shut.You will. I said. maybe yes. It would be the same when the offensive started. He brought them over to me.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer.

Youre a nice boy. They are too stupid. baby. Every night priest five against one! They all laughed again. When he stopped swishing and fell asleep they came down and I blew them away and finally covered my face with my hands and slept too. the basins and the stoppered bottles. I thought I was coming back. After I leave here Ill go see that English and hell get you an English medal. and the strange excitement of waking and not knowing who it was with you. The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. Now they try to forget it.

 Fillipo Vincenza Bassi or Bassi Fillippo Vicenza had never touched a drop all evening and what was his name anyway He said was my name Frederico Enrico or Enrico Federico I said let the best man win. They blew him all to bits. And you never know if the girl will really like it.Dont bring Caruso. I said in English. There was that beginning of a feeling of dryness in the nose that meant the day would be hot later on. At this point the priest left and I told the story about the travelling salesman who arrived at five oclock in the morning at Marseilles when the mistral was blowing. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles. The mechanics were working on one out in the yard. They blew him all to bits. she said. I said.

 Manera said. depended to a considerable extent on myself. There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun.Yes.Cough. The dressing station was on the Austrian side of the river under the edge of the hill and stretcherbearers would bring the wounded back across the pontoon bridge.Im so sorry. He saw us and smiled.Ill take what you can give me.It is true. He slapped me on the shoulder.Its Manera.

 It was a hot day and there were many flies in the room. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt. for your own good.Be serious. then choking. I say its rotten. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know.The battery in the next garden woke me in the morning and I saw the sun coming through the window and got out of the bed. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. They were afraid.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. But youre very nice.

 he said in Italian. She put it in my hand. I said.Well crack. sitting in my trousers and an undershirt in front of the open window. he said. said the priest. said the major. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things. These V.Nothing. She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform.

 It was not wide enough either to carry all the transport for an offensive and the Austrians could make a shambles out of it. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote. But they say a Saint Anthonys very useful. I was there and reading of it in the paper.I thought you said he was a Frenchman. Ive seen the holes. The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew. the gas mask in an oblong tin can. The captain was having a great success with finger games. It was very hot and when I woke my legs itched. I will go now and bring her here.Didnt you carry anybody on your back Gordini says you carried several people on your back but the medical major at the first post declares it is impossible.

 But the Italians had crossed and spread out a little way on the far side to hold about a mile and a half on the Austrian side of the river. There was fighting for that mountain too.Dont get angry.I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty. It is just bad administration. The ground was torn up and in front of my head there was a splintered beam of wood. She would not let me put my arm around her.We walked on a way and were stopped under a tree. Nobody had mentioned what the stakes were. It might be good though. major. falling and the soldiers marching and afterward the road bare and white except for the leaves.

 At first it dropped slowly and regularly. They blew him all to bits. the major said. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now.You. No.Thank you very much. I saw that word pricked him and kept on. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. I said.Four for 105. I was angry and yet certain.

 God. I took her hands. Tenente. Tenente.No. havent youYes. Tenente.I drank the cognac and felt it warm all the way down. My hand went in and my knee was down on my shin. I only write about what a beautiful place we live in and how brave the Italians are.Thank you for the coffee beans. mama Mia I pulled and twisted and got my legs loose finally and turned around and touched him.

 I know all about it now. father.Im afraid it will make it bigger.That will be nice. he said. Im awfully tired. TenenteWhere is Gordini and GavuzziGordinis at the post getting bandaged. After I leave here Ill go see that English and hell get you an English medal.Im not angry. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road.Kiss me.

 They wouldnt attack.In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. depended to a considerable extent on myself.There isnt any place.I lifted it to arms length and the strands cleared. You must have done something heroic either before or after. Im sending you now with the English ambulance.If I go back theyll make me get operated on and then theyll put me in the line all the time. Something picturesque. Gordini stood up and went outside with me.I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty.Beyond the mule train the road was empty and we climbed through the hills and then went down over the shoulder of a long hill into a river valley.

 We will convert him. and relaxed. with many tastes alike.I took off my tunic and shirt and washed in the cold water in the basin. Outside it was nearly dark. The town was very nice and our house was very fine. Name he asked softly. when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo. Its been in there too long. To your valorous wounds. I knew. They want to get you the medaglia dargento but perhaps they can get only the bronze.

At dinner I ate very quickly and left for the villa where the British had their hospital. I was after him.Yes.That doesnt matter. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily.Whats the matter nowNew rings. I decided to go on upstairs. It has been put back again. There were big guns too that passed in the day drawn by tractors. In the morning they came to each bed in turn. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off. Thats what keeps you from being court martialled for self inflicted wounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment