Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks.

 We go whorehouse before it shuts
 We go whorehouse before it shuts.That will be nice. He bellows.It belonged to a boy who was killed last year. it couldnt all go on. Three others were up in the mountains at dressing stations. You dont have to pretend you love me. Maybe it would finish this summer. go to hell.No. I will. he said when he saw me. how do you feel Where is that damn corkscrew You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering.If everybody would not attack the war would be over. didnt youYes.

 he said. I remembered. Look how you are wounded.I didnt know about anything then. the lieutenant said. It would have been impolite not to have known something of them when I had listened to such a splendid explanation of their causes which were. Ill be wise like you. He had always known what I did not know and what. passing on the road.I see. drunk. I like him. They did very well last summer. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. Its beautiful language.

How are you. I could pull backward along with my arms and elbows.I walked behind her out into the garden. They all laughed. hauling them back from the mountains to the clearing station and then distributing them to the hospitals named on their papers. Thank you very much. Stupid. It had been impossible to advance on the far side the year before because there was only one road leading down from the pass to the pontoon bridge and it was under machinegun and shell fire for nearly a mile. I said. Oh. she said. Close to the bank I saw deep pools. The other cars pulled up. No.He should go to Palermo.

 baby. Tenente. Catherine. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew. Tell me exactly what happened. sototenente (the thumb). A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road. Passini said still respectfully.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. with plaster and rubble in their gardens and sometimes in the street. The telescope that fitted it was.He will look after you. I stood up. They had the complete marble quality of all looking alike.

Oh.All right. wont youWhat the hell. you cant kiss me here. Im awfully tired. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backward as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with brother officers. Dont you read it. I could look down through the woods and see.Oughf. Dio te salve.Probably. but it was not successful. I love you so. Im Scotch. What inflicted the woundsThe medical captain.

That way youll be decorated. He stopped and sat down beside the road. I just tell you. There were not enough stretchers. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. Not in this war. close behind the lines. tipping their heads back.You are crazy. It was all right if she was. He drank a half tumbler of cognac. No blood brother and roommate. She was carrying a thin rattan stick like a toy riding-crop. baby.Thats the only differenceYes.

Its very hard.Two carabinieri held the car up. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. 206 arent youYes. brown mountains with a little green on their slopes. you patriots. You should go on leave.That road will be a dirty mess. there was snow on the guns and there were paths in the snow going back to the latrines behind trenches. Then we saw a horse ambulance stopped by the road. He paused and thought. The Austrian trenches were above on the hillside only a few yards from the Italian lines.Let me feel it. There is nothing as bad as war. the cool nights.

You are crazy.I cant imagine lying like that. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American. I said.Outside something was set down beside the entrance.Where have you beenAt the Villa Rossa. she said. Maybe you will get an English medal too. She went on down the hall. I handed it to Gordini. even in the ambulance business. We will take over the two cars. the captain commenced picking on the priest.Slit the tunic.I stopped in front of the Villa Rossa.

 Oh. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. There was another stretcher by the side with a man on it whose nose I could see.I thought it over. Dio te salve. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons. I said to the priest. Hes coming to see you.I walked behind her out into the garden. Ill send your English girl. But I do with you. The tall English driver came around and looked in. Im not.He held a forceps with some gauze in the end. It was really very large and beautiful and there were fine trees in the grounds.

 There were some British batteries up with the third army. Naples. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. It was very edifying. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. she said.You ought to have let me know. Passing where the shells had landed I avoided the small broken places and smelled the high explosive and the smell of blasted clay and stone and freshly shattered flint.I can come here though. I went back and told the drivers I would get them as soon as the food came. the house for officers. Macedonias. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink.Thats the only differenceYes. you patriots.

 I heard the machine guns and rifles firing across the river and all along the river. Underneath we are the same. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed.Cough.Isnt there anywhere we can goNo.I did not understand the word. seeing it all ahead like the moves in a chess game. New girls never been to the front before.Its not serious I hope. Will you have a cigaretteThanks.How is he the Englishman called back.I was very dusty and dirty and went up to my room to wash. He sat down beside me. The offensive was going to start again I heard.

You couldnt have sent me a noteNo. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles. I helped him down.The captain. the gas mask in an oblong tin can.Bassi wins.Im quite well. please. It had been impossible to advance on the far side the year before because there was only one road leading down from the pass to the pontoon bridge and it was under machinegun and shell fire for nearly a mile. My hand went in and my knee was down on my shin. Inexperienced. crossing out everything except. It was quite evident he had stolen the bonds. There was fighting for that mountain too.

 in the infantry. It was a one road show. you have come back. If there is a war I suppose we must attack. I had it in the car. was lined with them. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. Its not a wound. He stopped and sat down beside the road. I remembered where I was going.Be a good boy and be careful. maam. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. They were very nice and we had a big evening. all this in a moment.

 the major said over his shoulder. would you he asked. While I rubbed myself with a towel I looked around the room and out the window and at Rinaldi lying with his eyes closed on the bed. he said. But dont be a fool.Beyond the mule train the road was empty and we climbed through the hills and then went down over the shoulder of a long hill into a river valley.Cough.Have you seen Miss BarkleyI will bring her here. It tells you about those priests. People cant realize what France is like.Look.I felt it. I denied this.No. He spoke again in pidgin Italian.

 Manera said. She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely. What hit youMe. Are you coming to nightNo.You ought to have let me know.Wait a minute. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark. but it was not successful.What is itThe man on the stretcher over me has a hemorrhage. Mr.It hasnt come up. There was one smashed bridge across the river.Youre dirty. Bless me.I know how you talk.

He walked across to the dressing station.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. Then I forgot about him.You ought to have let me know. Inside there was a light. the others dusty.But Scotland is England. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly.Goodnight.All right. Always with the girls. its smooth surface covered with brick dust.Couldnt you take me no place elseIf it was closer to the front I could take you to a first medical post.

 and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. now this is the point of the story. The men were hot and sweating.. he pointed to the thumb. brought by Gordini who looked very white and sick. I must do something about getting you out of here. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting.They may crack.I stopped to ask if you were better. When people realize how bad it is they cannot do anything to stop it because they go crazy. He laughed.I cant imagine lying like that. I said.Somebody said you should be able to learn it in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment