Tuesday, May 10, 2011

successful coup de main. His breath went away.

Poor Rinaldi
Poor Rinaldi. We were just beginning to get some of them. As soon as I got to the dressing station Manera brought a medical sergeant out and he put bandages on both my legs. That should handle them.You drive. To the silver medal. He drank a half tumbler of cognac. the bare ground was covered. You are really an Italian. She put it in my hand.Ciaou! he said. They say so. To the silver medal. Tell me really what was the best. You could stay with my family.

 Tenente. Thats where the money comes from. The Saint Anthony was in a little white metal capsule. holding below the target and trying to master the jerk of the ridiculous short barrel until I could hit within a yard of where I aimed at twenty paces and then the ridiculousness of carrying a pistol at all came over me and I soon forgot it and carried it flopping against the small of my back with no feeling at all except a vague sort of shame when I met Englishspeaking people. Gavuzzi said. higher snow mountains. that there had been three others. You were liable to arrest if you did not have one worn in plain sight. she said. passing on the road. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon. We understand you let us talk. My Austrian snipers rifle with its blued octagon barrel and the lovely dark walnut. Outside it was getting dark. He bellows.

 and come back like this.Maybe girls dont want to go to the front any more. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand. the long barrels of the guns covered with green branches and green leafy branches and vines laid over the tractors. lieutenant. Take a drink. I say he bellows!I would like you to go to Abruzzi. Signor Tenente. father. with the eyes shut.You couldnt have sent me a noteNo.The Italians didnt want women so near the front.Id rather wait. In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava. I say he bellows!I would like you to go to Abruzzi.

 Do you think I would do right to marry Miss Barkleyafter the war of courseAbsolutely.Goodevening.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village. 206 arent youYes.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. I said. I said. the major said. Its not a wound. Some one was coming down the hallway. Naples. All the drivers wore puttees but Passini had only one leg. that there had been three others. and of which I had never heard. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her.

He poured two glasses and we touched them. I had gotten somewhat drunk and had nearly forgotten to come but when I could not see her there I was feeling lonely and hollow. there was the smell of marble floors and hospital. It did not have anything to do with me.Oh I love to tease you. Now Ill probe for some of this if you like but its not necessary. Outside it was nearly dark. Whats the matter with you Do you want us to come outside and get himThe two stretcher bearers picked up the man under the arms and by the legs and brought him in.I said I knew. said the priest.He should go to Palermo. The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house.Have you any moneyYes. Were not cloistered.All thinking men are atheists.

He does really.Listen.It could not be worse.It starts now. in Milan. I went to the window and looked out. But I do with you. Bring a glass.I see.We kissed and she broke away suddenly.We two were talking while the others argued. I said. We saw their white uniforms through the trees and walked toward them. I said. he said in Italian.

 We are war brothers. it seemed.I cant imagine lying like that.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. This took place at B?ziers. Signor Tenente. is a short cut. Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush.How is everythingSplendid. Would you like a drink of brandy How did you run into this thing anyway What were you trying to do Commit suicide Antitetanus please. he said.No. because they did not bombard it to destroy it but only a little in a military way.Another night. Manera said he hoped it would come before the bombardment started.

 His nose was skinned and there was dust on the bloody patch and dust in his hair. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. I wished to God it was over though.What the hell.What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor. They are too stupid. I am well. We are war brothers.Here is the American Tenente. It evidently made no difference whether I was there to look after things or not. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. and well see.Some troops went out. aint this a goddam warListen. maggiore (next to the little finger).

How you like this goddam warRotten.Youre dirty. I think the heat knocked me over yesterday. Not Ba?chus. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa.Goodnight. No blood brother and roommate.He wiped his hands on his jumper and grinned.They hang you. Let them keep their sisters in the house. Any frescoes were good when they started to peel and flake off. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends.As you wish. the basins and the stoppered bottles. said Rinaldi.

 I handed the canteen back to Passini.You are crazy.I dont believe it. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse. There were three doctors that I knew. wont you She looked up at me. Not in this ambulance business.That priest.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. she said. great general but he looked like a man. I said.

 she said. This was a strange and mysterious war zone but I supposed it was quite well run and grim compared to other wars with the Austrians. said Passini. Are you badly hitIn the leg. Catherine. Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table. It is with them the war is made.Who goes to the attack asked Gavuzzi. Now Ill probe for some of this if you like but its not necessary. He laughed. and the major started us with red wine in mugs. In the dark it was like summer lightning. havent youBut I lost the truss. I said. in Milan.

 the major said. baby.Kiss me. Im not. The road was screened because it was in sight of the Austrians across the river.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew.You wouldnt want to go in the line all the time. a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road.Are you unwoundedWe are both wounded a little. the meal was finished. I said.Thats nothing.How is everythingSplendid. baby. My friend saw the priest from our mess going by in the street.

Which side is it onHere. drink that.Goodevening. Or shot through the shoulder. Miss Barkley prefers you to me. She had slapped my face hard.Do you want to very muchYes. I said. How are the girlsThere are no girls. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. They were laughing. havent youBut I lost the truss. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. He did not hear me.Very.

Yes. I said. The lieutenant said I slipped the truss on purpose. They were seventysevens and came with a whishing rush of air. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. higher snow mountains. there were some new hospitals. The wine was bad but not dull. Its twice as big as it was this morning. gray leather boxes heavy with the packs of clips of thin. I remembered where I was going. What if we take San Gabriele What if we take the Carso and Monfalcone and Trieste Where are we then Did you see all the far mountains to day Do you think we could take all them too Only if the Austrians stop fighting. We will convert him. as I went in.65 caliber with a short barrel and it jumped so sharply when you let it off that there was no question of hitting anything.

 Yes. Then I forgot about him. three men nurses and a doctor and picked you up out of bed and carried you into the dressing room so that the beds could be made while we were having our wounds dressed.You are crazy. Tenente.And you dont have to say you love me.I was going to cut it all off when he died. I said.So long. I was riding in the first car and as we passed the entry to the British hospital I told the driver to stop. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. and then there were mountains far off beyond all these that you could hardly tell if you really saw.Ill take what you can give me. The officers were not good but dull. I thought she was very beautiful.

 I had not said it before. capitano (next finger). The offensive was going to start again I heard.I cant imagine lying like that. you cant kiss me here. falling and the soldiers marching and afterward the road bare and white except for the leaves. They tell me youre an American. The forest had been green in the summer when we had come into the town but now there were the stumps and the broken trunks and the ground torn up. she said.Most of them dont. to take a shower. said the major. Goodby.I dont know.The battery in the next garden woke me in the morning and I saw the sun coming through the window and got out of the bed.

Id rather wait.All right.I have to go.Yes.No. I stood up. and I stood outside his cell and I said as though I were going to confession. There is only one difference between taking a girl who has always been good and a woman.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. No. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them. I said.All right. It is a successful coup de main. His breath went away.

No comments:

Post a Comment