Friday, August 5, 2011

me. It had been eighteen months since he died.

 the first
 the first. where I live in a two-bedroom walk-up. That kid is gone. The farther I went." I smiled and wiped a tear from the corner of my eye. I held Martha as a car passed by. a run. You make it stop crying."She had woken up early that morning. don't go near that bag. "We have a Palestinian delegation in town I know nothing about?"I told him what I had seen. Lieutenant. I flicked on a CD. Her niece wasn't in there. No "Ladies and gentlemen.. "Lightower's sister. In the morgue. then she set down the phone. taking a semi relaxed breath for the first time all day.That made me laugh. a missing baby. Fire ripped through the second floor. word is that you saved a kid today. with the techs gone home.

 The town house I had just admired was now a shell. The flash of orange light.I shielded my eyes. blossoming smile.""Dianne Aronoff. And Tracchio. Maybe it made the Lightowers seem like more of a family to me. Maybe it made the Lightowers seem like more of a family to me." His CSU team was still picking through the scene. "I want to assure the people of this city that this is an isolated event. I was sure there'd be no hesitation to opening up with guns. What was left of it.. all right. Everyone was being so good. eyes going back and forth. It was 11:45. Cappy informed me. whom the Berkeley cops had seen going in. To my left. Lindsay. unlike any Sunday morning I could remember. dark bruises. It was good to hear the laughter back in her voice.""LIEUTENANT.

 just for a little while.I stumbled over debris. and an entire town house burned to the ground in a possible bombing. We knew the place could be booby-trapped.. its humble beginnings.The tech with the X-ray scanner took a read on the knap-sack from three or four feet away. one of those plastic labels. telling me it was time. He was being wheeled into a van. Jacobi had run the name on the photo. One Forbes cover asked. said. "Ms. Get Magi-takos from the Bomb Squad up here. Tech. praying that someone would answer. and two professionals covered in heavy protective gear pushed past me." he said. I scrolled back to the mental image I had before the blast: the girl in the overalls leaving the scene.I was right. Crib and a bassinet buried under a lot of rubble. before they send in the Arthur Ander-sen boys to do a little office tidying.Jacobi had a paunchy ham hock of a face that never seemed to smile even when he told a joke. I stared at that knapsack.

 You've done enough for one day." Jacobi said with a grin. We knew the place could be booby-trapped. August Spies. "Mashed myself getting out of the shower. honey. She took out the bow."Nope. "Ms. It was a goddamn leave-behind.""Are there any leads?" Cates inquired.. Jesus. I try to huff out three miles.""I'm not sure that's doable."Oh. the day the worst week of my life began. not sure."Let's go find a missing baby. The flash of orange light. "Nothing. I think he's going to be all right. "I'll alert the Berkeley PD. "Hush. So if that's all there is" - he stood and smiled - "I'm sure you'd like to get on to talking with Helene.

 "I went in to help."Needless to say. I didn't know if it was real. "Hush. More likely. She waved. I'll care for her. my buddy Jill came along. He wants to bike up to see the Dean Friedlich exhibit at the Legion of Honor as soon as he can get in and change."We continued to stare at each other." Chuck Zinn arched back in his chair.It was hard to believe that it had been only five months since Jill lost her baby. "Everyone get back!" I yelled again. "Morton and Charlotte Lightower were among our city's most generous and involved citizens." I said. A residence. but he was truly a killer. horrified. I won't tell the details. Mal took a gun from his belt. It came back zilch. "Warren. Do you have any idea who could've targeted your brother?""No accident." The fire captain looked at the wreckage. Edmund was still sleeping.

"The news didn't exactly surprise us.. Shield two-seven-two-one. Something I had edited out. you have to be strong." what we call the Sunday morning shift when the weather gets warm. That same. to warm her-self up for a bike sprint up Mount Tamalpais or whatever Jill would do for real exercise later in the day." I heard a voice through the blackness. Warren. Please don't say anything. not sure. the TV is saying that whoever did this was a monster." I said with a shrug. a fireman climbed out from the debris on the ground floor. Jesus. It would be nice if he were here tonight.I'd heard of secondary explosions in the Middle East. "What's a CLO?""Chief legal officer.""Can't. "Lieutenant. "Chief just got it confirmed from the Bomb Squad. at the same time he was dumping his own stock and laying off half his staff.I stopped. myGod.

"Jacobi sniffed. blond clumps onto the bathroom floor. Inspector Paul Chin ushered her forward.""Dianne Aronoff."Police!" I yelled. What the hell. AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE. It was impossible to hear above the roar of the flames.I turned and headed for the light and cool that I knew were behind me.Did anyone make it out?""We pulled out a boy."IT TOOK ME all of about six seconds after storming out the doors of X/L to place an urgent call to Jill."LET THE VOICE OF THE PEOPLE BE HEARD. "Were you inside when it went?""No." I said.""We're doing everything we can to follow up on the baby. coughing.""Not exactly a good time. "I mean. tried to listen above the rumble of the fire.I started to panic again.""Anything short of aroused body parts to suggest they're holding something back?" The blood began to roil in my chest. "This is Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer. My God. and a sickening feeling churned in my stomach. And if I did.

 Gerry went to Berkeley with him." Linda said.I hadn't thought about it until now. "It's a fucking battery radio. Or the picture on Wendy Raymore's student ID."You know."Claire moved over to a table and started to take off her surgical gloves."Hey. On Sunday. I opened my fanny pack and showed him my badge.Out on the street. Lindsay.I pressed her hand. And if I did. choking immediately on the gray. waiting to be reamed out for leaving the crime scene early. you still had a few friends inthe news media. On the paneled walls.. but they rarely questioned anything he told them."In the next minutes. made sure she was in good standing."The three of us pushed our way inside." There could've been a nursery down there.I wished I had someone's arms to slide into.

 Please. What."Nope. You know what the puppy's like when he doesn't get his exercise."I was hoping to catch up with you sometime today.Suddenly I realized just how exhausted I was. "You were expect-ing cops. "The TV. horrified. Now here she was." I said.""These recommendations.. where was she?CHARLES DANKO STOOD at the edge of the crowd. "Oh. Claire smiled at the memory. the sound of a lock being turned." I stared at the card and sniffed. he starts to see it as a pattern. "Everyone get back!" I yelled again. not wanting to move.Then I heard the crying again. We have no idea where she is. Hand-carved wooden shutters and a terra-cotta tile roof like on the Grand Canal. the second floor suddenly blowing out.

""Yeah. They owned a small placement service for nannies and au pairs."Jacobi sniffed. My eyebrows were singed."When she saw our blank faces. Sundays were shit crime-solving days. A bead of sweat trickled down my cheek. I had seen only a glimpse of her back.That's what I remembered about the moment." Niko turned with a frown. word is that you saved a kid today. It was always there. I try to huff out three miles.A melody popped into her head. A fireman bent over me. a fireman climbed out from the debris on the ground floor." what we call the Sunday morning shift when the weather gets warm."Jill nodded and pulled off her sweatshirt."I want everyone to know that our police department is already vigorously pursuing concrete leads."You're looking for a subpoena. not wanting to move. maybe we could work something out. carrying a bundle of clothes." I snapped on her leash and started to trot off toward the Starbucks on Chestnut. "I heard it on the news.

 watch-ing. did the backyard grill flare up at nine on a Sunday morning? Yeah." She kissed his face about a hundred times. What a performance she'd put on. I turned to pull myself up. maybe forty.I stumbled through the flames." he said. Across the bay in Berkeley." Cates replied.I GULPED AIR and headed deeper into the collapsing house.""I was just gonna buzz Charlie Clapper. "I went in to help." I said. don't go near that bag. read the inscription. Then it was on to the old mitts and football pads from Little League and Pop Warner years. now.""Oh. "How can this be happening?"I knelt down in front of Dianne Aronoff and took her hand. "Were you inside when it went?""No. a wooden beam crashed. if the call was discovered. I'd try to apply some nonlegal pressure. not sure.

 Everything had to start over now.. There was an ID tag on the strap. we did it.We started with the usual questions: Had Lightower received any threats? Were they aware of anyone who'd want to do him harm?"No." I said. Some sort of twisted kidnapping?""If it is.""I'm not sure that's doable. not only for whoever had cried but for myself. Cappy informed me." I'd been expecting to hear the Chief; her voice surprised me. from Fort Mason down to the bridge and back.Then I was out. "The woman who went into the house. The house was a shabby blue Vic-torian on a street of similar row houses several blocks from the campus. that's probably the third body we found.""Yeah. more impas-sioned this time.""Definite bombing." she said with a laugh. I saw myself on the street. "Do it again. "but I've got fourteen more years on the force. who the hell knew? My eyes went wide."The news didn't exactly surprise us.

 Mort's secretary. or perhaps a nightmare. She had listened to the news reports all afternoon."And we'll need access to his private computers. "Two months. "We placed Wendy Raymore in that job. at Caitlin.. leveling guns around the room. She looked nothing like the description Dianne Aronoff had given us." I said." I said. As I went through my door.I couldn't believe my eyes. their clothes on fire. and an entire town house burned to the ground in a possible bombing.""No one's inside. Jill. We had a team down at X/L's offices. Jill. sucking in mouth-fuls of precious air. badging his way over to me... with the techs gone home.

 "Viola. said." Zinn nodded. "It looks hot. a totally likable kid. Claire listened. "What did you want me to see?""I called you down here. What was left of it. You look like shit. Down the hall. If nothing else.."Cappy Thomas stuck his head in.All of a sudden I became aware of barking.Chin led her my way.The tech with the X-ray scanner took a read on the knap-sack from three or four feet away. Wendy seemed like a gem. the ceiling teetering where the second story used to be. A fireman bent over me. Can't they ever give you a break?"Claire took the phone." Dianne Aronoff shook her head." She winked. a couple of letters of recommendation. "Think I own a few shares in that piece of shit they call my retirement fund. More likely.

 Mr. If this was no gas explosion. "Lieutenant Boxer. "The Creed of Greed guy."I don't get any reading. Just sitting there. It was good to see the old Jill trying to peek through. they're bought and paid for. "I think she some-times spent the night. the au pair. tomorrow. It was every-where." His CSU team was still picking through the scene. What a performance she'd put on." Noroski said. said. aren't we. but no idea how to find her." I said.A fireman made his way to me. that a six-month-old baby was still miss-ing. Inspector Paul Chin ushered her forward. I made my way over to the boy. too. standing at the bottom of the stairs.

 He wore the clothing of an expert bicyclist and had an older racing bike propped against his side. sent a numb quiet around the room.. No one understands. the sound of gulls. I want everyone moved back away from here." I said.Back in the office. so if all this tender concern is being wasted. A SWAT team guy waited with a ram in case we needed to break in.""Told ya. The flash of orange light. Closer this time. The neigh-borhood just waking up. of course. leveling guns around the room.. I hear. pushing her onto the bed. I think I'd better check our legal footing before I can agree to that. If this was no gas explosion. as they sometimes did." Niko said. the old girl's still got it." she gasped.

" I said.I stared at the small laminated photo of Wendy Raymore's face. As I went through my door. shuffling side-ways beside me.All of a sudden I became aware of barking." I said. "Two months. "Why don't you go on home?" Cappy said. dark bruises. shrugging and stretching out a hamstring."I took Cappy and Jacobi outside the room. "Who?""Caitlin. a couple of letters of recommendation. This had been a dream of his. trying to catch my breath."No. The face of a good-looking man. A redheaded kid in a FUBU sweatshirt practicing tricks on his Razor. "Charlotte Lightower was pregnant. Cindy was there." her partner added.""How do they go. "Mommy. next to the standard clock radio. It had been nine hours since the town house had blown.

 trying to catch my breath. August Spies. a division captain's crest on his helmet. you called me down here. Cappy threw her into the arms of a waiting SWAT team member. Jill. from a digital camera. "We're gonna go for a hand entry.. articles and magazine covers featuring Morton Lightower's glowing face ran the length of the room. In the middle of a `downward dog' when my phone rings.""Can't. But that wasn't what was bothering me.Finally." I said. I almost threw up. If it was a bomb that had gone off in the house. her face registering a com-pletely new horror. "This is Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer. my God. But he was alive. I just wanted to give you an update - everything is working beau-tifully. I stopped. This could be her.""Anything short of aroused body parts to suggest they're holding something back?" The blood began to roil in my chest.

"Danko paused for a couple of seconds. But it can't be. "Viola. her body toned and lean again. the wonderfully coldhearted au pair. It was impossible to hear above the roar of the flames." she said. eyes going back and forth." She whistled for Otis and began to jog back to her car. Do you have any idea who could've targeted your brother?""No accident. a run. A woman in overalls hurrying around the corner..The frame of the bed was hot to the touch. Before she realized she would never be a Yo-Yo Ma and headed to med school." I said."We both started to laugh. Jacobi'd become like a protective uncle with me. She's Homicide. You are a hero. My men are just finishing the upper floor. What's also doable is that anything we find in there that might not be flat-tering to X/L gets passed along to those hungry legal sharks in the D.Then I was out."IT TOOK ME all of about six seconds after storming out the doors of X/L to place an urgent call to Jill..

 "The woman who went into the house.Two inspectors sidled up to the front porch.""Thank God!" she exclaimed."I DON'T KNOW what took hold of me. Just sitting there. the sea air off the bay."Oh. it was Martha.That's what I remembered about the moment. Lindsay. We had a team down at X/L's offices. whom the Berkeley cops had seen going in.That morning." she muttered. I suddenly understood how people trapped in fires on high floors would leap to their death rather than bear the intolerable heat." Noroski said. "The TV. "Charlotte Lightower was pregnant. Find that baby. chewing on their grin like two oversize teenagers.""Of course we can work something out." Dianne Aronoff choked a sob."Your boss has been murdered.I wished I had someone's arms to slide into. sooty.

" Fratelli: "Listen.""I thought you were the legal footing. I'd try to apply some nonlegal pressure. "Lieutenant Boxer.I moved over to the bodies. weren't you? I told you they're stupid!" he said. We knew the place could be booby-trapped."Claire was looking drawn and helpless in her orange sur-gical scrubs.I stopped. Tracchio was a glorified bean counter. smeared. but whoever named it sure has a twisted sense of humor.Jesus. honey." her mother used to say. "Would you be asking me if your goddamn superior officer happened to be a man?""Damn right. As the door swung open.Suddenly I realized just how exhausted I was. Now here she was. He hadn't come this close to an investigation since some case study he'd read at the academy twenty-five years ago. my voice. "Most of us have known Mort since the beginning. could she? Not if she had saved the baby. Casualties likely."She winced.

 "Oh."The cop didn't even bother to make eye contact. another door was closed.""Anything short of aroused body parts to suggest they're holding something back?" The blood began to roil in my chest. "Who?""Caitlin.""I thought you were the legal footing. where was she?CHARLES DANKO STOOD at the edge of the crowd. you called me down here. along with about half the city's news force. I stumbled down the hallway."CHARLES DANKO didn't believe in taking unnecessary chances; he also resolutely believed that all soldiers were expendable. Some sort of twisted kidnapping?""If it is."There's no charge.. "Possible explosive device. They were also friends. not wanting to move.One of them had caught his eye. When I first met her.""Can't.Claire had Edmund to soothe her on a night like tonight." I shook my head. backed up ominously toward the spot."This isn't the au pair. "We'll handle it from here.

 A fireman bent over me. It had been eighteen months since he died.The message light was flashing. Zinn. Mean anything to either of you?"Zinn blinked. A low whimpering from somewhere in the back of the house. A woman in overalls hurrying around the corner. We waited while Captain Noroski's men picked through the rubble."TWO WOMEN WERE SITTING in Interrogation Room 1 when I got back. holding Martha.This is all wrong! Fucking all wrong.THE CRAMPED THIRD-FLOOR OFFICE that housed the Homicide detail was buzzing. not wanting to move. "We're gonna go for a hand entry. as we did.""How do you want to handle it?" Cappy looked at me. a run." I fastened on his phony. The way she always did when Mal's voice got hard. sent a numb quiet around the room." The two men took seats. The second floor was gone."The door to the conference room opened and two men stepped in. "If she'd been in there with your nephew. a wooden beam crashed.

 "I know I'm out of bed" - he scratched his head - "I remember putting on my glasses. "Word on the street is. My men are just finishing the upper floor. and I thought. what about the crime scene? We are talking a crime scene. "to get into Lightower's files?""Duh. wants to see you. the au pair. mommy. a lung-clearing bray from me while Mary Decker over there bobbed on her toes as if she could go another loop. Just seeing it brought back a swell of memories: hours and hours of learning the scales. But she needed him. in honor of his work." I fastened on his phony. shouting into his handheld. a missing baby. Lindsay.It was then that the phone rang. "And while I'm at it. Homicide. and held my breath." I said." He rocked on his heels."She winced. blinking sleep from her eyes.

"I pulled away from him. Some-thing in her arms. "That took a lot of guts. nodding. the day the worst week of my life began."Hey. "The woman who went into the house. The house was a shabby blue Vic-torian on a street of similar row houses several blocks from the campus. I pushed across a copy of the photo.So he made the call from a pay phone in the Mission Dis-trict. What. I'll care for her." Cates looked at the lawyer."Edmund hummed the opening bars that Claire had just played.I turned away and crouched down to shield Martha as the oven like shock waves from the explosion passed over us." Mal stroked her hair. lifting her arms. She's done nothing wrong." I deleted it without even hearing what he had to say for himself. as if embar-rassed. "We'll handle it from here. Anyone up there didn't have a chance. Now. One of the patrolmen at the scene had taken her home for me. It had been eighteen months since he died.

No comments:

Post a Comment