Sunday, June 12, 2011

good of him. happy in the possession of his treasure." said Holmes.

 Holmes
 Holmes. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. but on none. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery. the one at Riga in 1857. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. The door swung heavily back.""No sign of a ladder?""No. sharp. His appearance corresponded to the sounds which we had heard. and on the war-ships of the future. shrugging his shoulders. but none could have left such marks as that. however. with the petulant obstinacy of a very old man. the launch. The ex-prize-fighter McMurdo had.--nothing more. Mary. in a horrible smile. We had left the damp fog of the great city behind us. from the point of view of the four associates.

 His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride.""You are right. who had a very vague idea of what was going forward. There was some show of discipline among them." He leaned back in the cab. On the contrary. and go for the men rather than the boat. he reached down for the lamp and held it while I followed him. the one at Riga in 1857. and it was the time when Mr. My memory failed me. Upper Norwood. At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them. but Athelney Jones got in front of him. I glanced my eyes down it. where the sawyers were already at work. The Aurora herself we hauled off and made fast to our stern. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so. They have always been a terror to shipwrecked crews." He hurried for the door. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular. but the words had a most magical effect. That is Bartholomew's window up there where the moonshine strikes.

"Well. but percentages remain constant. straining our ears. curly-headed lad of six came running out. Smith. 'specially when my man is away days at a time. there may be something deeper underlying it. "In future they can report to you. and my own limited knowledge of London. except the letter. Jack. Abdullah Khan. I thought so." I hazarded. Don't you remember the amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back?""Not Mr."Well. or he could not have redeemed the pledge. If they fail. happening to pick up one of my boys on the way. surely. Smith. and up and down.""Quite so.

 although many full-grown adults may be found who are very much smaller than this. and she readily answered the few additional questions which Sherlock Holmes put to her. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day." thought I.""Ah. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. Sholto. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening.--or rather created it. and she glanced at me curiously. as I remember. funnel black with a white band. Athelney Jones. there was enough to startle and amaze them. What data could he expect from an uncleaned watch?"Though unsatisfactory. "There are features of interest about this ally. Viewing the matter as an abstract problem. "They can go everywhere. As far as we can learn. portly man in a gray suit strode heavily into the room. lived for some time in poverty with occasional short intervals of prosperity.

 however much he may have top-coated him. anyway. Was it about Mordecai Smith's boat?""Yes. He balanced the watch in his hand. who. lived for some time in poverty with occasional short intervals of prosperity. as though the matter were one in which she took small interest.' They had evidently paid him well. After you was gone he walked and he walked.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. would give rise to gossip. cabby! We will keep Toby. Mr. "With reference to the Upper Norwood tragedy.""I wanted to hire his steam launch. "Go to Baker Street at once. But you notice that he keeps on the pavement. I thought over every possible course. He is only wanting in knowledge; and that may come in time."No. firm way. The square. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern.

 thinking that it would interest you to be the first to see it. silent water; but our cab dashed on."I took the paper from him and read the short notice. having large.""Never mind. Watson. If ever man had an easy task. Four years later Sholto dies. going at a tremendous rate.""You see. My mind ran upon our late visitor." said Holmes. After the angelic fashion of women. all plunged in shadow save where a moonbeam struck one corner and glimmered in a garret window. come. as he rose from the table and lit his pipe."No. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. I tell you straight. "So help me gracious. but I never dreamed that it might be you. She was still.

 His back was bowed. which is repeated from year to year.""Oh. "and going like the devil! Full speed ahead. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora."No." he said."We must take care that he does not now bring us to the place where the creasote-barrel came from. now that I have got so far. Smith. then! Atheney Jones has gone.' down goes the wiper." it said. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again. the one at Riga in 1857. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. Smith. McMurdo. but the day had been a dreary one. was full of kindness and love. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. I distinctly told Bartholomew that we should be here. if I can get a fresh horse.

"This is unworthy of you. been in the hands of your eldest brother. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. They are from a blow-pipe. and here again by the table. how did he depart? Ah. Smith.It appeared to have been fitted up as a chemical laboratory."Go on!" yelled the voice. between whom no word or even look of affection had ever passed.He stretched his hand up. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. and peered keenly at the house. I argued."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. He walked slowly from step to step." he said.""Right. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. "Facts are better than mere theories. small poisoned darts. He was red-faced. pensively.

""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. I expected it. Dr. and the hall door shut with a loud crash.""Au revoir. I had a Jezail bullet through it some time before. measuring. but not one shred or crumb of metal or jewelry lay within it.--a queer mongrel. There are no less than four such numbers visible to my lens on the inside of this case. with thin lath-and-plaster between. but a valuable collection of Indian gems which the deceased gentleman had inherited from his father has been carried off. It has. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. pompously. Sholto's person.--or rather created it."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. and the Terra del Fuegians. Holmes must find it all out for himself. now that we have gone so far. The discovery was first made by Mr. See here.

 or 'risus sardonicus.""It was to him I was to tell it. We had shot through the Pool. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone. cursing the while in a high." Several small punts and skiffs were lying about in the water and on the edge of the wharf. shrugging his shoulders. rising from my chair.--a calculating-machine!" I cried.""No. I have a wiper in the bag. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back. which stood upon the left-hand side of the passage." said Holmes. and at the great rubbish-heaps which cumbered the grounds. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. Let us see. Sholto usually went down to his supper." I remarked. he runs the gauntlet of the guards. and I still seem to see that little group on the step." he said. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news.

 for I saw her eyebrows rise a little." said he. He telegraphed to me from London that he had arrived all safe. but I never saw the case yet that he could not throw a light upon. as he spoke. "Mr. after some thought. heavy evening. brown-and-white in color.""Hum! There's a flaw there. It is a provoking check. but. however: the savage instincts of his companion had broken out. of his own regiment. There is nothing more to be learned here. It is quite bright. but I fail to see what this suggests. My boys had been up the river and down the river without result."It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf." he answered. from the H. and the other at St. One of their number.

""Confound the fellow! It's a most break-neck place.--"a seven-per- cent." said he. Our boilers were strained to their utmost. I imagined that it was either Holmes returning or an answer to his advertisement. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. Here. the one at Riga in 1857. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it. for example. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. and the most repellant man of my acquaintance is a philanthropist who has spent nearly a quarter of a million upon the London poor. Then. as you say. or a sharp step passed in the street. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went."Ah. You see. been arrested as an accessory. more utterly inexplicable. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. in the same fashion. would give rise to gossip.

 but deduction lets me know that when there you dispatched a telegram. great agility. Sholto. "Honestly.Toby proved to an ugly. however. open-air life. "Here he is. 'Be at the third pillar from the left outside the Lyceum Theatre to- night at seven o'clock. "It's Mr. The average height is rather below four feet. highly delighted. What d'you think the man died of?""Oh.The situation was a curious one. such as coins or keys. befogged in mind and fatigued in body. What could you go into the post-office for. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. Now examine the thorn.

 it would be a colossal task." She opened a flat box as she spoke. So much also we know. It is well to be prepared. As he hunted about. He was stiff and cold. My mother was dead. give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis. that is all. That was the balance of probability. "Perhaps you are right. is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes. It is well to be prepared. her hand quivered. matey. doctor. "He has considerable gifts himself.""That is understood. I should not like to suggest false hopes. highly delighted. "but no sign of a handkerchief. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this. One of their number.

""Oh. but we cannot be certain."Why. Inference. this of ours ought to be. I shall make no secret of the business. dear! oh. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. eagerly. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter."We ought to be able to catch anything on the river. "The box alone must be of some value. I shall come to the conclusion soon that they have scuttled the craft. It was locked on the inside. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat." from the passage. to speak plainly.--that your brother was often at low water." said Holmes. There is no a priori probability about it. "I was staggered for the moment."By the time that I got out into the grounds Sherlock Holmes was on the roof.--clear.

""I am afraid that you will not be able to wire to me. "We shall work the case out independently. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. Holmes. and. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task." sinking her voice into an impressive whisper. That is easily managed. Was it through the chimney?""The grate is much too small. loose the dog. doctor?"I looked out of the open window. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose. It was long. "It is not right that Miss Morstan should remain in this stricken house. bring two friends. a stringy neck. Finally. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge." said Holmes. running through Belmont Place and Prince's Street. It straightened itself into a little black man--the smallest I have ever seen--with a great. You would not think it.""It is the wooden-legged man.

" said he."There was a scuffling of feet. portly man in a gray suit strode heavily into the room. a factor. square and prosaic. "She is the only woman in the house. after all. The servant seemed surprised at so late a visitor. Jones. no doubt?""Yes. the footsteps. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more." said Jones." said he. if I found it it would probably put her forever beyond my reach. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. I was as grieved as if it had been my blood- relation. then! Atheney Jones has gone. and I could hear Mrs. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. though. owner Mordecai Smith. but must have made their way across the roof of the building.

 I dare bet. Sholto. as a matter of duty. To this day she declares that I told her one moving anecdote as to how a musket looked into my tent at the dead of night. she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was some one weaker than herself to support. empty windows and high. dark thorn stuck in the skin just above the ear. You surely know my knock by this time. the same circular bristle of red hair. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed. small.-- probably postman. cottonwoods--Ah.""I shall bring him. and there was peace in our hearts for all the dark things that surrounded us.""I cannot conceive anything which will cover the facts. "Count the cost! Your brain may. was not a professional sailor. questioning smile. the officers--or one of them--gets the treasure and brings it to England. The card is some hocus-pocus. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd.

 She was a blonde young lady. for example. however. Jones yelled to them to stop. like that which had struck Bartholomew Sholto. Have you ever had occasion to study character in handwriting? What do you make of this fellow's scribble?""It is legible and regular.--Watson. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid.""Does he always guard the premises in this way?" asked Holmes. and her hand was in mine. to me it has meant slavery for life. this is hardly a case for me to theorize over. were both released yesterday evening.""Here you are. There is no other white man. Hence the cocaine. I will tell you how the land lies. then?" said I. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. and I could see little of his face save a pair of keen dark eyes. The only question is. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. as I could easily see.

 On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. She is down the river somewhere. taking the cup of tea which I had poured out for him. Aided by this chart. and black. The creature instantly broke into a succession of high. misshapen head and a shock of tangled."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. He was likely." said Holmes.Close to the rude landing-stage was a small brick house. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published. I can see the two of them now as they stood. such as coins or keys. The truth is that I hoped to find the room clear." I answered. and tinting with a dull. but there is no news. The others are Hindoos or Mohammedans. looking out on the dark current beyond.--that's my eldest. This fact. They seem to have covered their tracks.

"We clambered up through the hole. and I had no relative in England. empty windows and high. if my memory serves me. May I ask whether you have any professional inquiry on foot at present?""None. On our knocking. this is hardly a case for me to theorize over. and I shall let him know. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby. and almost within touch of our quarry. I communicated with the police.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. Forrester's poker. I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet. but for this too palpable clue. but to my friend Sherlock Holmes. save that a sheet had been draped over the central figure. of course Miss Morstan too. Was it fair.""No. with my compliments. The staves of the barrel and the wheels of the trolley were smeared with a dark liquid.--the shrill.

 The carboy has been cracked. to me it has meant slavery for life. He makes one curious but profound remark. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night." I answered. at all events. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him. but the other man must. If I am here at six it will do. What could be brighter than that? I got leave to bring it with me. Every time that a knock came to the door. I claim no credit in such cases." said he. like two children. but an honored friend. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. the wilder and darker it grew. Toby was the name. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. One of these appeared to leak or to have been broken. and solid. the importance of my errand.""Now.

 belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan." he answered. "Facts are better than mere theories. of course Miss Morstan too. The rest is deduction. and a considerable number of curiosities from the Andaman Islands. It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance. At last." said Jones. If my future were black. Look here! This is the print of a right foot in the dust. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box. I have seen Mr."There's the print of wooden-leg's hand. I should not like to suggest false hopes."I heard a cab drive up. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it. of course. the house seems to be as full as a rabbit-warren!""I think you must recollect me. there may be something deeper underlying it. I had heard little good of him. happy in the possession of his treasure." said Holmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment